Sunday, January 15, 2012

Top 10 TV Countdown - Recap

Thanks you for reading and commenting on my Top 10 TV Countdown series! Here is a recap of my top 10 favourite genre TV shows at this time:


1. Doctor Who
2. Firefly
3. Stargate SG-1
4. Warehouse 13
5. Chuck
6. Fringe
7. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
8. Merlin
9. Sanctuary
10. Eureka


"But why wasn't ________ on your top 10 list?" you ask? Well, I'm glad you are wondering that, because here are a few shows that didn't make it onto my list and why:

Lost
Great characters. Tantalizing and mysterious plot that kept you moving on to the next episode and the next (if you were watching it on DVD like I was, anyway.) Wonderfully entertaining. The reason it didn't make my top 10 was because I didn't like the ending, and that makes me like a show a lot less. However, that being said, if I was to re-do my Top 10 list at this time, I would probably put Lost in Sanctuary's place, because recently I stopped watching Sanctuary as it has gotten boring for me.

Battlestar Galactica
This is another show with great characters and great plot. Top notch sci-fi space journey. However, one of the things I considered in making my top 10 list was if I would recommend a show to someone else or not, and I would not recommend BSG to everyone because of the adult content. I really don't think sex scenes add anything to a show, and I think so many more people would watch them if they were left out. I also hated the ending. It got weird and didn't tie everything together like I thought it should have.

Heroes
Interesting take on superheroes in America story. I enjoyed the first two seasons, but then they just weren't as good.

Dollhouse
Unlike a lot of Joss Whedon fans who disliked this show, I really enjoyed it. I think it would probably be my #11.

Farscape
Farscape was a lot of fun too. It would be my #12.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
It was entertaining, but I don't think I'd re-watch it, possibly because I just don't connect with Buffy as a main character. She kind of annoyed me a lot (sorry, Buffy fans!).

Stargate: Atlantis and Stargate: Universe
I love both of these shows, but I already had one Stargate show in my Top 10 and wanted to leave room for variety.

Older shows like Star Trek, Lost in Space, X-Files, The Twilight Zone
I am relatively young and only started watching genre TV in my late teens. I didn't grow up on these shows like many of you; though I did grow up watching old shows my parents owned on VHS like Hogan's Heroes, Gilligan's Island, I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, and Newhart (all fabulous shows, of course, but not genre). So with all the newer shows out there, I just haven't made time to go back and watch some of the old classics.

So... is there a show not on my top 10 list that you think should be? A show on my list that you think shouldn't be? Tell me about it!

6 comments:

  1. Excellent list.
    This isn't a genre choice, but I watched the finale of season 2 and I want to put it out there - Sherlock (BBC).

    It. Will. Blow. Your. Mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several of those are my favorite as well. I confess, I've never gotten into Dr. Who, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie - I did watch the first season of Sherlock (I think it was only 3 episodes) and enjoyed it, but I never watched further. I might have to check out season 2.

    Alex - I highly recommend taking the plunge! And it isn't even a very deep plunge, as one season of Doctor Who only has 13 episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't ever seen a few of those shows. I need to find time to catch up on more genre shows. Stargate Atlantis is my favorite, but I also love Buffy and Angel, and pretty much anything Joss Whedon does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I was a big HEROES fan! That would have been on my list. FIREFLY is a show that loads of people seem to like, but I've never seen it... I'm obviously missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenda - I really like SG:A--I'm actually not entirely sure if I like it or SG-1 better. Joss Whedon IS pretty awesome. Firefly is my favourite, of course (as you can see)!

    Rachel - You should definitely check Firefly out! I did enjoy Heroes a lot, until the later seasons.

    ReplyDelete