Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Everything You Didn't Want to Know About Me

Well, today seems to be a day for posts about me. I didn't plan it this way, and it is definitely not my favourite topic to talk about, but not only did the fantastic Alex post an interview with me on her blog today (and even if you don't want to hear about me, stop by her blog anyway, because she is a wonderful person with awesome geeky pastimes!), but the awesome David Powers King gave me this blogging award.

I'm not sure what I did to deserve the title "inspiring," but I am flattered. Thanks, David! According to the rules, I have to share 7 things about myself that I have never revealed to you before. Here I go.

1. Sometimes I pronounce words wrong because I've only ever seen them in books and used them in writing.

2. I've only ever left North America once, and it was to go to Romania. I'd love to travel more--Ireland, Thailand, and New Zealand are on my to-visit list!

3. I'm Canadian. As such, polar bear hunting is my favourite sport. All right, all right, my favourite snowy activity is actually snowboarding. I say snowboarding, but I think I actually spend more time on the snow than on the board.

4. I am a musician, and have been in many bands, though I don't have a piano right now so I haven't played much since I moved to the city. I also used to play percussion in an orchestra.

5. I have recurring dreams where I lose my teeth. That's weird, right?

6. I went to four different universities to get my four-year degree in English and one-year certificate in publishing. And no, they didn't kick me out or anything!

7. Though I haven't played in a while, I've built several Magic: The Gathering decks. Yes, my geekery does descend that far.

I will pass this on to a few bloggers who have inspired me lately:

Alex (A Novel Journey) for being awesome, bonding with me over our love of sci-fi, interviewing me, and making some thought-provoking posts on multiculturalism!
Tyrean (Tyrean's Writing Spot) for making it to this special day of publishing her book!
Jamie (Mithril Wisdom) for being a super blogfest co-host with me and making me think critically about all things fantasy through his regular posts.
Vik (Scribblings of an Aspiring Author) for making the effort to celebrate the small things, and encouraging others to do so.
Laura (My Baffling Brain) for struggling through some tricky times juggling school and writing. And for sharing a love of anime, of course ;)

Oh dear, I could continue to go on through my entire blogger friends list, but I'll leave it at that. Cheers, everyone!

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I've never been to Thailand, but my parents have. The photos they took were amazing. You need to brush up on those piano skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the award and don't feel strange...I've had the 'teeth falling out' dream more than once :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guilty of #1 as well. I've been pronouncing "corps" and "herb" wrong since I was a kid, and I can't seem to stop.

    - James.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I've been pronouncing words wrong for years without noticing, until someone says it the right way and I feel like an idiot. For example, the word 'awry'. And I was one of the people that said 'Hermione' wrong until she explained how to pronounce it in Goblet of Fire. Whoops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the award. Like Laura above, I got myself in a tangle with Hermione.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Allison. Nice answers. And I mis-pronouce a lot of words too, which my kids like to tease me about. Romania is a place I'd like to visit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Happened across your blog from Mark Means mentioning the games blog hop. Sounds interesting, though not sure I'll add it to the list. Congrats on your award and those are some interesting facts. The dream is cool. You should write a story that involves someone having that type of dream. A question: Are you maybe afraid of getting old? Just a psych 101 class analysis that may bring some answers to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some really interesting facts.

    I also want to travel more. Went to Berlin about two weeks ago, which was the first time I went overseas in 11 years. Hopefully my next trip won't be so long in coming. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely to know more about you. Wow! You were in a band. How cool is that!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Allison - you are so awesome! And I have to say that I love hearing that I'm not the only one who mispronounces words that I've read in books. I can usually spell them (when I'm not typing), but I can't say them. :-) That's so cool to learn that you were in a band, and I should have guessed that you were a musician with all the awesome music you mention and post on your blog! Snowboarding is fun, although I usually ski because I spend a little less time rolling down the hill that way. I hope you get to travel soon.
    And thanks!!! I'll be posting my answers next week - this week I went a little crazy with participating in awesome blogfests.

    ReplyDelete