Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Book Review: BLOODFIRE QUEST

Author: Terry Brooks
Publisher: Del Rey
Pub Date: March 12, 2013

I usually only write a book review if I love the book; I know how much work an author puts into his writing and I don't want to drag him down just because his story wasn't my cup of tea. However, Terry Brooks is my favourite author and I've written many good reviews of his work, so I don't feel bad telling you I was a bit disappointed by this book.

I loved the first book in the series, Wards of Faerie, as it set up the story just right with a perfect amount of suspense and adventure. Bloodfire Quest, however, just seemed to drag on without progressing the plot much at all. Not only that, but I'm confused as to why it is called "Bloodfire Quest" in the first place, as I didn't think that was the main part of the tale. They do set off to find the Bloodfire, but I felt the heart of the story was with the Ard Rhys and Redden who are trapped in the Forbidding.

Also, I liked the love story brewing between Cymrian and Aphenglow since the previous book, but then it abruptly came to a climax without really climaxing--I didn't feel as tense or involved as I should have.

Eventually the story did progress about half way through the book, and it was still a good adventure, just not what I've come to expect from Terry Brooks. I will still read the next one, of course, and I hope it will draw me in more like Wards of Faerie did.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read his past few releases because I have been disappointed.

    ReplyDelete